Theme: From Field to Fair
Director: Jill Noakes
Committee: Eleanor Foy, Karen Edwards, Valerie Noakes
The intention of our division is to encourage children to participate in the Navan Fair and make them aware of the agricultural community. We hope that those who take part in this section will first and foremost have fun! So, gather pencils, paints, pens, crayons, scissors, and your imagination. We can hardly wait to see what you and your peers create!
Special for 2023!! Enter in at least 3 out of 5 categories in your grade and receive a special gift when you bring in your entries. Prizes provided by the Nifty Fifty Plus group.
- Use any material to make 3 little worms.
- Decorate a pinecone.
- Make a flower using playdough.
- Paint or draw a picture of your favourite farm animal.
- Add colour to a print-out of a tractor.
Junior Kindergarten (JK)
- Create a piece of art that shows the season of Spring.
- Draw a picture of a plant growing out of a seed.
- Make a farm animal using a paper plate.
- Make a puffy rain cloud and rain drops.
- Glue flowers (real or artificial) to a small piece of wood to make a mini flower garden.
Senior Kindergarten (SK)
- Create and label a piece of art that shows the season of Spring.
- Draw a picture of a plant or vegetable garden.
- Make an animal using a pinecone.
- Make a cob of corn out of a paper roll.
- Construct a puffy sun with sun rays.
- Create a farm animal using a Kleenex box.
- Using pebbles or small stones build a fence approximately 3 cm tall and 8 cm wide.
- Build a nest using things found in nature.
- Construct a rainbow using bits of coloured paper.
- Construct a standing scarecrow (30cm high max).
- Create a collage of either drawn or cut out pictures with the topic “Life on the Farm”.
- Build a chicken coop out of a milk carton size box.
- Make a flower bouquet out of egg cartons.
- Draw a picture of horses in a field.
- Draw the first letter of your name and make it look like a farm animal.
- Create a picture of a barn using popsicle sticks on paper.
- Draw and label a vegetable garden.
- Make a grain bin using a tin can.
- Show 3 or more compost layers in a clear container with a lid.
- Construct a sunflower using items found in nature.
- Create a picture of a tractor using popsicle sticks on paper.
- Draw a design for a fair ride you would like to create.
- Write a thank-you note to a farmer.
- Make a small hanging wind chime.
- Create a piece of art using Surrealism, inspired by the artist Salvador Dali (from the Grade 4 Visual Arts curriculum).
- Draw a picture of a farm scene and cut it into 6 pieces to make a puzzle.
- Make a poster of crops that are grown on local farms.
- Design a driveway farm sign.
- Construct a 3D standing windmill (no higher than 30cm).
- Make a chicken face picture using feathers.
- Create a 3D farm using a shoebox.
- Sketch a black and white drawing of a barn.
- Design and draw or paint a barn quilt.
- Create a vision board of what a farm of the future may look like.
- Build a side by side or tractor powered by an elastic.
Prizes for winners in Grades 1–6:
1st – $6 2nd – $5 3rd – $4 4th – $3
Each participant in Pre-School, JK or SK will receive $2 per child and participation ribbons on each entry
NOTE: Prize money will be available for pickup in the Fair Office after 12 noon on Friday August 11th
Education Division Rules and Regulations:
a. Exhibitors must enter in the grade they completed as of June 2023.
b. No identification marks on the front of the entries.
c. Entries can be made online through navanfair.com “exhibitors” or emailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org by Tuesday, August 8 th so that tags may be made in advance. Please provide the first and last name of the child, home address, the grade, and category(s) they are entering.
d. All paintings, drawings, etc. should be created on an 8.5”x11” sheet of paper.
e. Judging will be based on:
· Overall appeal
· Creativity (original work)
· Effective use of colour, space, and materials
· Neatness and organization
f. All entries must be the sole work of the exhibitor. Projects completed during the 2022-23 school year are eligible.
g. Exhibits are to be brought to the Exhibit Building (Blue Building) on Wednesday, August 9 th between 6:00 pm and 8:00 pm.
h. Judging will take place on Thursday, August 10 th . The building will be closed for judging and will reopen once the judging is finished (approximately 4:00 pm.)
i. Exhibits must be left on display until Sunday, August 13 th and can be picked up after 4:30 pm. The Fair Board is not responsible for items or prizes unclaimed after 6:00 pm on Sunday evening.
j. Prize money will be ready for pick up at the Fair Office any time after 12 noon on Friday, August 11 th .
k. Prizes not claimed by the end of September 2023 will be considered a donation to the Cumberland Township
ONTARIO ASSOCIATION OF AGRICULTURAL SOCIETIES (OAAS)
YOUTH POSTER COMPETITION
YOUTH POSTER COMPETITION – OPEN TO ALL AGES UP TO GRADE 12
Promote the 2023 Navan Fair featuring this year’s theme: From Field to Fair
a. Name and dates of Navan Fair to be clearly shown.
b. Poster must be hand drawn. No computer-generated work.
c. Size: Minimum 8.5”x11” (22cm x 28cm), without border; Maximum of 11”x17” (28cm x 44cm), without border.
d. Each entry must be centered on CARDSTOCK or BRISTOL BOARD, exposing a 2” (5.5cm) border on all four sides.
e. Label the back of the poster with “Navan Fair, District 1,” your name, and complete mailing address.
8-1/2” x 11”
Border 2” around poster
Judging Standards for Posters
- Overall Appearance 50 points
- Hand Drawn 35 points
- OAAS Criteria (size, material, theme) 15 points
Junior Youth, up to and including Grade 4
Intermediate Youth, Grade 5 to Grade 8 inclusive
Senior Youth, Grade 9 to Grade 12 inclusive
Prizes: 1st – $20 2nd – $15 3rd – $10
All other entries will receive – $5
The 1st place winner will have their poster taken to the OAAS District Level 1 competition in October. District winners are eligible to enter the provincial competition in February 2024. Please make sure to follow the instructions carefully. If you are the 1st place winner, please leave your poster in the Fair Office after the Navan Fair.
OAAS will pay convention winners the following prizes:
1st – $25 2nd – $15 3rd – $10